Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Soup!


So I hope I am not the only one who struggles to put food on the table sometimes. It's not necessarily that I don't have what I need (although that does happen). It's more about planning ahead and making something that everyone will want.

Right now I am working with my husband, a newly vegetarian, my stepson who is pretty good but if it looks funny- no way, my daughter Sofia (3) who eats so little sometimes I wonder how she keeps on living and Leila (16 months) who eats everything and twice as much as Sofia. I'm pretty easy going too but.... little to no dairy. That leaves me frustrated and wanting to head to the closest drive-thru.

As it turns out, with the  changing seasons and changes in seasonal foods, I have latched on to soup as my go to and I found the perfect book! From the library of course (love it!). The book is called SOUP and it is just a compilation of a bunch of super yummy, super easy, soup recipes. I don't think I have ever cooked so many recipes out of one book in my whole life. Pumpkin soup, chunky turkey soup, lentil soup, even Mulligatawny is honor of the Soup Nazi himself. I think I added too much ginger though. Time for some tweaking. Anyway.


The thing about soup is that most times it is easy and can be quick- but you have to have the right things laying around. I suggest you always pick these things up at the store and have them on hand:

butter
onions
vegetable or chicken stock
parsley
potatoes
carrots
celery

For some reason it seems like most recipes call for some combination of the above and having those things around can be a life saver. Especially after a long day.

I definitely recommend the book- just buy it, you won't be disappointed but until then here is one of my favorites:

Allotment soup

You need:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium leek, finely sliced
2 medium carrots, diced
1 large zucchini, diced
1 celery rib, diced
1 large potato, diced
2 tomatoes peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 quarts cold water
sea salt and ground pepper
6 oz frozen green beans

How to:
Heat oil in a large pot. Add leek, carrots, zucchini, celery, potato, tomato and garlic and cook, stirring regularly for 10-15 minutes until soft but not brown. Add water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until everything is tender. Add frozen green beans and heat until tender. Serve with some yummy crusty bread.

Yum-o! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I"m a big fan of soup! I make it about once a week. I get the veggie broth and almost always have the above ingredients lying about. i also often do a bean soup with canned beans (tho dried beans are better for you. but i'm a terrible pre planner and they have to soak FOREVER). The other night i was in the mood for potato soup and i just kind of winged it. I'll give you the recipe. And try not to worry too much about Sofia. Chase was my super picky kid who ate so little. for one whole year in kindergarten he took ketchup on bun as his lunch. YES. Ketchup. on bun. I've been making smoothies with frozen fruit, rice powder protien and juice or almond milk, adding in a little flax (for his dry skin) and a little wheat germ and they are so tasty. you might try those with her. its like an "ice cream treat" but good for her : ) Good luck. They will be fine. I'll post the soup on my blog for you.

    ReplyDelete