Sunday, April 10, 2011

Beer

It's got to be a good post if it starts with "beer," right? :)

It's been a good spring break. My husband is a school teacher and so not only was by stepson home all week but my husband also. On Friday my sister watched our daughters so that we could have a date (the 3rd one since my second daughter was born, who is now almost 9 months). We went to a local brewery to enjoy some food and maybe, a brew. Mad Anthony, I am assuming named after the General Anthony Wayne for whom our lovely city is named, is a great place. It has great food, great atmosphere, great bands and really tasty beer. My hubby and I sat at the bar and chatted and ate. He had a Blonde brew and I had a Raspberry/Blonde mix. I have never been a big drinker at all but I do appreciate a good beer now and then. It was yummy and I felt it right away (yes- I'm a total light-weight and proud!). I thought to myself "this is great- I am out with my husband and we are having a great time with great food and we are doing something without the kids and I can eat before my food gets cold..." and then I got sad. Really sentimental. I thought about mom and I even..... cried in my beer a little, sitting at the bar. I felt like a big dork.

It's April now. The sun is shining and today, it is warm. Bare feet warm. Sunglasses warm. I am seasonally affected and so I long for springtime for what seems to be forever. Here it is, and I am crying in my beer. I feel like how a soldier must feel coming back from battle. Exhausted, disillusioned, run-down but alive. What a season of my life this has been. Praise God I am still standing. Even if I am crying in my beer.

On a lighter note, I made some rockin' Shepherd's Pie with beer and since we are talking about it, I think I should share. I just recently re-discovered Shepherd's Pie when my dear friend Kirstin brought me and my family a meal (or two or so) during everything with mom. Her family's recipe is super yummy and my husband made a point to tell me he "really liked it." Score. I have yet to ask for that recipe to I adopted a few different ones via internet and improvised. It's easy and yummy and worth a try. It's a winner for adults and children!

Shepherd's Pie 

You need:
4-5 good sized potatoes
butter and milk (for mashed potatoes)
1 onion chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup frozen diced carrots
1 cup beef broth
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp flour
Beer of choice (I used Moosehead Lager)
salt, pepper, paprika

How-to:

Cube potatoes and boil in salted water until tender.

While potatoes are cooking, saute onions in olive oil for a couple minutes until tender. Add ground beef, break apart and cook until no longer pink. Add peas and carrots and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add beef broth, Worcestershire and flour to create gravy. Stir until flour is incorporated. Pour in a couple ounces of beer, stir and simmer. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat. Transfer to a casserole for baking.

Turn broiler on high to heat.

Once potatoes are tender, drain. Add a couple of tablespoons of butter and milk and mash or blend potatoes to your liking. Add butter, milk, salt or pepper as needed or to taste. When satisfactory, spoon out over meat and veggie mixture and smooth over top. Sprinkle a bit of paprika for look, not taste.

Place casserole in oven about 6 inches from broiler and bake for about 10 minutes until potatoes begin to brown.

Serve! Yum-o!

No comments:

Post a Comment